Connect with us

Sports

Thailand Open: Srikanth upset with COVID-19 testing experience, shares picture of bleeding nose | Badminton News

Published

on

BANGKOK (Thailand): Shuttler Kidambi Srikanth‘s experience at the Thailand tour has been far from pleasant as he shared pictures from his bleeding nose, following the ‘unacceptable’ treatment being meted out to the player while conducting coronavirus tests.
“We take care of ourselves for the match not to come and shed blood for THIS. However, I gave 4 tests after I have arrived and I can’t say any of them have been pleasant. Unacceptable,” Srikanth tweeted while sharing pictures.

Srikanth is in Bangkok for the Thailand open which commenced on Tuesday and will go on until January 17. On Sunday, Olympic gold medalist Carolina Marin had expressed her displeasure with the food being given to the athletes.
“We need better food to be ready to play. It’s a difficult situation for all and we are grateful to be able to play tournaments, but we must take care of our body. In my case, because of a health issue, I need a special diet and this is not appropriate food for athletes,” Marin had tweeted while sharing pictures of the food.

Also, earlier on Tuesday, Indian badminton players Saina Nehwal, HS Prannoy, and Parupalli Kashyap withdrew from the tournament. Nehwal and Prannoy tested positive for COVID-19.
The Indian squad, which travelled to Bangkok to participate in the Yonex Thailand Open followed by Toyota Thailand Open, had tested negative during the first two tests that were conducted. However, Olympic bronze medallist Nehwal and Pronnoy tested positive during the third Test, which was done on Monday.
“We are constantly in touch with the BWF as well as the organisers and our team management and players. These are unprecedented times but BWF is doing everything to ensure full support to our players including their safety,” Badminton Association of India (BAI) general secretary Ajay Singhania said in an official statement.
After testing positive, both the players have been taken to the hospital to be isolated for a minimum period of 10 days. Parupalli Kashyap has also withdrawn from the tournament and is quarantined in his hotel room due to close proximity with Nehwal.
“According to the guidelines and safety norms, these three players will not be participating in the tournament. However, all other players have been allowed to participate but they have to play without the presence of coaches and support staff as per the safety protocols,” Singhania said.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

India vs Australia Live Score, 4th Test: All three results possible on the final day : Pat Cummins to continue from the other end

Published

on

By

Hello, Good Morning and a welcome back to the final day of what has been an engrossing tour of Australia by a gritty Indian team. And besides the contest between bat and ball, the key to this fourth and final Test match ending in either a win or a draw will depend on what the Brisbane weather has in store for Tuesday.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

BS Chandrasekhar stable, to be shifted out of ICU | Cricket News

Published

on

By

BENGALURU: Former India leg-spinner BS Chandrasekhar, who was admitted to hospital on Monday after complaining of fatigue and slurred speech, is stable.
“He is stable and likely to be shifted from Intensive Care Unit (ICU) to ward shortly,” said a spokesperson of Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA).
The former leg-spinner was admitted to a private hospital. Earlier, his wife had said that he was recovering. “Chandra is recovering very well, and he will be back home in two days,” his wife Sandhya Chandrasekhar Bhagwath stated in a release to the media.
She added that Chandrasekhar was fine and was watching the Australia-India Test match when he suddenly complained of fatigue and slurring in speech. “So we took him to the hospital,” she said.
According to her, the 75-year-old complained of “tiredness and fatigue” on Friday evening and his speech became a “little bit slurred”.
“There is no problem. It’s not a life-threatening thing. Please convey to fans that Chandra is very much stable. He has a very strong willpower,” Sandhya said.
The former India leg-spinner, who made his debut for India in January 1961, scalped 242 wickets in 58 Test matches he played. He picked 16 five-wicket hauls during his 15-year-old long career. He played his last Test in 1979.
The former cricketer also played an ODI match against New Zealand. He picked three wickets and gave 36 runs in that game.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Mushtaq Ali T20: Tamil Nadu march into quarterfinals | Cricket News

Published

on

By

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu marched into the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 quarterfinals with an 8-wicket win over Bengal in their last league clash at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Monday. Opener N Jagadeesan’s (71 n.o., 6×4, 4×6) dream run continued as he notched up his fourth successive half-century in the tournament.
Jagadeesan’s unfinished 110-run stand for the third wicket with skipper Dinesh Karthik (47 n.o., 7×4) helped TN chase down Bengal’s target of 164. The top performance from the hosts came from Kaif Ahmed who led the batting charts with an unbeaten 63. TN’s comprehensive victory helped them top the Group B table with 20 points from 5 games.

Jagadeesan — the tournament’s highest run-getter with 311 runs — started off cautiously as he scored only 15 from the first 22 deliveries he faced. He broke the shackles in the 12th over with two sixes in off-spinner Arnab Nandi’s bowling. In the next over, Jagadeesan hit medium-pacer Mukesh Kumar for a maximum over mid-wicket to turn the tide in TN’s favour. Jagadeesan lost fellow opener Hari Nishaanth (14) in the third over but kept TN in the chase with a 40-run second wicket stand with KB Arun Karthick (30, 3×4, 1×6).

Jagadeesan took his time to get going and his scoring rate improved with the arrival of Karthik in the 9th over. The duo looked comfortable at the crease and their 60-ball stand helped TN cross the finish line in 18 overs to notch up their fifth successive win in the tournament.
The opening session of play was all about TN’s stronghold in the first 10 overs followed by Bengal’s resurgence in the next half thanks to Kaif Ahmed’s unbeaten knock in the last 10 overs. Aparajith, who only bowled 5 overs in the three matches prior to Monday’s clash, was spot on from the very first over he bowled.

Aparajith put brakes on Bengal’s scoring by cleaning up openers Vivek Singh (7) and Shreevats Goswami (21). Tidy bowling and sharp fielding helped TN reduce Bengal to 68 for 4 at the halfway mark.

But Kaif, playing only his 4th Twenty20 clash for Bengal, played a mature innings. Even as most of his teammates were struggling to middle the ball, Kaif kept Bengal’s scoreboard ticking with hits on all parts of the ground but his 47-ball knock wasn’t enough to stop TN’s charge.
Brief scores: Bengal 163 for 8 in 20 overs (Kaif Ahmed 63 n.o, Anustup Majumdar 34; Aparajith 2-20). Tamil Nadu 167-2 in 18 overs (N Jagadeesan 71 n.o., Dinesh Karthik 47 n.o.). Tamil Nadu won by 8 wickets.



Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares