Connect with us

Auto

Tata Motors unveils Altroz trim with turbocharged petrol engine, sales begin next week

Published

on

New Delhi: Tata Motors on Wednesday unveiled a new petrol variant of its premium hatchback Altroz with sales expected to begin from next week across the country. The new trim comes with 1.2 litre bi-turbocharged petrol powertrain which produces 110 PS of power helping the model cross 0-100 km/hr in less than 12 seconds. The company already sells Altroz with 1.2 litre petrol engine which generates 86 PS of power.

The 1.5 litre diesel powertrain on the other hand produces 90 PS of power.

“We have sold 45,000 units so far in the current financial year and demand continues to be strong. We hope the i-turbo trim would add substantially to the volumes,” Tata Motors Head Marketing Passenger Vehicle Business Unit (PVBU) Vivek Srivatsa told reporters during a virtual launch event.

Elaborating further, he said the new trim could add around 10 per cent to the company’s overall sales.

“We have had only one petrol engine variant so far for the Altroz. We have seen some of the competitors having multiple petrol options (for their respective premium hatchbacks). This (turbocharged petrol variant) satisfies different kinds of needs of our customers,” Srivatsa noted.

He said the company would announce the price of the new Altroz trim on January 22 and sales would commence from the same day.

When asked if the company plans to take a price hike for its passenger vehicle range, Srivatsa said, the increase in input cost has been an issue across the industry. “We have not yet announced a price increase. We are looking at the competitive landscape but i think it is a matter of time before the prices increase.”

On the semiconductor shortage issue, he informed that the company is not impacted so far but “it is a problem that is looming large in front of us.”

Srivatsa also noted that resumption of investments, which were curtailed last year due to the coronavirus pandemic, would depend on the market conditions.

“We are not the only company that made these kinds of decisions (hold on investments) due to COVID-19. However, it all depends on how the market recovers, how our financial performance is going ahead. Obviously the auto industry is heavily dependent on new products and we will take calls on the matter as we go ahead,” he said.

Commenting on Altroz i-turbo, he said the trim comes with various new features including enhanced connected technology and multi drive modes.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Auto

Mercedes-Benz expects ‘substantial’ growth in India this year: Martin Schwenk

Published

on

By

German luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz expects ‘substantial’ growth in India this year driven by a line-up of 15 products and sustained demand recovery being witnessed from the fourth quarter of last year, according to a top company official.

The company, however, sees reaching its peak level of 2018 in India, only in 2022, due to supply-chain constraints especially in Europe.

“Overall, I think we can really assume that the momentum which we have seen in the fourth quarter is continuing… With the reduction of COVID cases a lot of normalcy has happened. We have seen very strong demand in all our range.

“I would think the festive season plus new products have triggered that, and would continue in 2021,” Mercedes-Benz India Managing Director and CEO Martin Schwenk told PTI.

He was responding to a query on the company’s outlook for the ongoing calendar year.

Schwenk further said, “We have 15 products in our pipeline. With (the ongoing) demand we should have a good chance for recovery and substantial growth in 2021.”

In 2020, the company had reported 43 per cent decline in sales at 7,893 units in India, as compared to 13,786 units sold in 2019.

Giving a perspective of how the demand recovery has been steady and strong in the second half of 2020, he said, “We have seen in the fourth quarter of 2020, a 40 per cent increase compared to the third quarter.”

In the first quarter of 2020, the company had sold 2,386 units and it plummeted to just 563 units in Q2 due to the lockdown. It sold 2,058 units in the third quarter and in the fourth quarter clocked 2,886 units, a growth of 40 per cent as compared to the preceding quarter.

When asked how long it would take for Mercedes-Benz India to reach its highest ever sales of 15,538 units in 2018, Schwenk said, “2018 was our best year which we had and I don’t think that we will achieve it in 2021. I think we will achieve that in 2022.”

Giving reasons, he said, “What limits us at the moment is more of the actual production start. We have requirements for support from Europe and there are still some concerns with travels… At the moment there are some constraints…”.

Stating that global demand has picked up better than expected, he said some of the company’s high sellers such GLE and GLS SUVs are facing constraints.

“We have order banks on these vehicles and we have one to three months waiting period on GLS. That is caused by multiple constraints in the system itself,” Schwenk said adding the company is hoping that after the first quarter of 2021 these things would be resolved.

Commenting on demand sustainability, he said India’s key economic indicators are looking good which is helping in creating positive consumer sentiments, specially the business people who are key customers of the company.

“At the moment we have stable demand, a positive development on the demand side. I can clearly see that new products and improving customer sentiments created the demand… I think we will see continued demand,” Schwenk said.


Source link

Continue Reading

Auto

Xpeng rolls out autonomous driving features in challenge to Tesla

Published

on

By

Xpeng CEO He Xiaopeng stands next to the company’s P7 electric sedan as he addresses media at the 2020 Beijing auto show.

Evelyn Cheng | CNBC

GUANGZHOU, China — Chinese electric carmaker Xpeng Motors has started rolling out its new autonomous highway driving features to eligible customers as it looks to ramp up its challenge to Tesla in the world’s largest auto market.

The electric vehicle start-up announced the Navigation Guided Pilot or NGP this month. The feature allows drivers to automatically change lanes, speed up or slow down, overtake cars as well as enter and exit highways.

It is part of the next generation of Xpeng’s XPILOT 3.0 “advanced driver-assistance system” (ADAS). Customers who have purchased the option on the premium version of Xpeng’s P7 sedan will be able to download NGP over WiFi.

The features are part of a broader so-called over-the-air update that allows customers to download new software via WiFi. It is similar to upgrading the operating system on a phone.

XPeng’s operating system, Xmart OS 2.5.0, will be available to all P7 customers, the company said. It includes an upgraded voice assistant and certain in-car apps.

The company, which is headquartered in Guangzhou, is trying to highlight its software and autonomous driving capabilities as a way to differentiate from domestic rivals like Nio and Li Auto as well as challenge Tesla.

The U.S. electric carmaker has its own autonomous ADAS called Autopilot.

China’s electric vehicle companies are looking to add more autonomous features to their cars. Nio has its own system called NIO Pilot.


Source link

Continue Reading

Auto

Hero MotoCorp may launch electric car as part of new future forward lineup

Published

on

By

(This story originally appeared in on Jan 26, 2021)

NEW DELHI: Hero MotoCorp, the leader in the Indian two-wheeler market, is fuelling up for the next leap in mobility. On the canvas could be connected, autonomous and shared commercial as well as personal platforms and products, which may include an electric car.

The company has already prototyped a high-utility, modular electric three-wheeler (Quark 1) that can be intelligently converted into a two-wheeler, based on requirements of the user.

The product, which has been already showcased, can be used for personal and commercial purposes, including ecommerce deliveries and other such applications.

Similar innovations and solutions — beyond its traditional two-wheeler business — will form the new line-up that the company is working on as part of a vision of future of mobility, Pawan Munjal, chairman of Hero Moto, said after the automaker rolled out a record 100 million two-wheelers since its inception in the early ’80s. “… the next 100 million line-up in all likelihood will not only be a motorcycle or a scooter, or a three-wheeler,” Munjal told TOI, as he gave out hints about the company’s ‘vision’ on mobility.

“The seriousness about this vision is huge, among all of us. The vision is to become the future of mobility. This is a vast canvas,” he said, adding that investments in research and development as well as innovations and partnerships will be scaled up.

Asked whether the new products would include an electric car, he said there are many options in front of the company. Munjal said Hero Moto has been working out numerous simulations and possibilities in the mobility space, and will craft strategies accordingly. “… the way the world is heading in various directions, the possibilities are immense. We can be working in many different areas, (and) follow a certain direction which we believe is doable and workable and makes sense.”

He said collaborations and partnerships may happen as part of this outreach, though there are no confirmed talks with any company at present.

Asked whether the company is taking a risk by looking at avenues beyond its stronghold of two-wheelers, Munjal said the transition is guided by mobility trends.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares