Connect with us

Sports

Saina Nehwal: Haven’t received Covid-19 test report, just been told it’s positive: Saina Nehwal | Badminton News

Published

on

BANGKOK: Shuttler Saina Nehwal on Tuesday said that she has not received her Covid-19 test report and was only told by the authorities that she has tested positive for the virus. The shuttler also said that the rules state that the report should come in by five hours, but this was not the process followed in her case.
“I still didn’t receive the covid test report from yesterday it’s very confusing and today just before the warm up for the match they tell me to got to hospital in bangkok … saying that I m positive ..according to rules the report should come in 5 hours.. @bwfmedia,” Nehwal tweeted.
Earlier, sources within the Badminton Association of India (BAI) confirmed that Nehwal and HS Prannoy tested positive for coronavirus. Both the players, who were set to compete in the Thailand Open, were taken to the hospital for further tests.

A walkover was given to Kisona Selvaduray of Malaysia, who was to play her first-round match of the Thailand Open against Saina on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Saina’s husband Parupalli Kashyap has also been taken to hospital but his report status is not yet confirmed.
Last week, Saina had raised concerns over fitness of the athletes after physios and trainers were restricted from meeting the badminton players during the entirety of their Thailand tour.

Having undergone coronavirus tests, Saina had asked Badminton World Federation (BWF) to sort the mess as this was impacting the performance of the players on the court.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Sourav Ganguly to undergo medical tests, decision on stent insertion after reports arrive: Doctor | Cricket News

Published

on

By

KOLKATA: A series of medical tests would be conducted on BCCI president Sourav Ganguly on Thursday following which a decision might well be taken on the next course of treatment, a senior doctor at the hospital where he has been admitted said.
The former Team India captain, hospitalised on Wednesday for the second time in a month, was likely to undergo angiography, and doctors would subsequently decide if another stent insertion was necessary.

Earlier in January, he was diagnosed with ‘triple vessel disease’ and had a stent inserted in a coronary artery after suffering a mild heart attack.
Mr Ganguly slept well all night. He had a light breakfast this morning. A series of tests will be conducted on him today to decide on the next course of treatment,” the senior doctor, who is part of the panel attending to the cricketing icon, said.
Noted cardiologist Devi Shetty might fly down to the city later in the day to examine Ganguly’s condition, go through the test reports, and hold meetings with the doctors treating him, he said.
“Once the test results arrive, we will be able to determine if two stents have to be inserted to open the blocks in his arteries,” he added.
According to a source in the family, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee called Ganguly in the morning to enquire about his health.
Senior CPI (M) leader Ashok Bhattacharya also paid a visit to Ganguly at the hospital.
The former left-handed batsman was on Wednesday afternoon rushed to the private hospital on EM Bypass here from his Behala residence as he felt “dizzy with slight discomfort in chest”, the family source said.
A green corridor was created by the city police for his smooth travel to the hospital.
A statement issued by the medical establishment on Wednesday evening stated that several tests were carried out at the emergency ward of the hospital, but there was “no change in his (vital health) parameters since his last hospitalisation”.
Ganguly has been admitted “for a check-up of his cardiac condition”, the statement said.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

HC issues notice to Virat Kohli, Tamanna on plea seeking ban on online gambling in Kerala | Off the field News

Published

on

By

KOCHI: The Kerala High Court on Wednesday issued notice to Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli and the state government in a plea seeking ban on online gambling in the state.
Besides Kohli, a division bench, headed by Chief Justice S Manikumar, also issued notices to Malayalam actor Aju Varghese and South Indian actress Tamanna Bhatia.
The celebrities are the brand ambassadors of online rummy games.
Petitioner Pauly Vadakkan alleged online gambling is now a growing menace in the state and the primary targets will be middle to low income group people who will be enticed to make easy money.
People who fall to the fraud platforms often use what is left in their life savings, he said.
The petitioner said there have been many reported cases across the state in which people have got scammed.
Referring to the recent alleged death by suicide of a 28-year-old man, an ISRO employee hailing from Kattakkada in Thiruvananthapuram district, the petitioner said the man had fallen in the trap of online rummy game and pushed himself to a debt of Rs 21 lakh.
Finding no means to repay the debt, he took his life, the petitioner alleged.
These platforms endorsed by celebrities, including Kohli, Bhatia and Varghese, attract their audience with fake promises while in reality the probability of such winnings are slim to none, thus making a fool of unsuspecting people, the plea said.
The petitioner submitted that at present the law governing gaming activities in the state, the Kerala Gaming Act 1960, does not bring within its purview any online gambling, wagering or betting activities.
The act extends to gaming activities conducted in a “Common gaming house” (which is an enclosed physical premise such as house, room, tent etc) by using any “instrument of gaming kept or used in such enclosed physical premises for the accrual of profit or gain to the person owning, occupying, keeping such instruments of gaming in the enclosed physical premises.”
“Thus a person sitting in his private house, using these online gambling platforms from his house arguably may not come within the definition of a common gaming house,” the petitioner said.
In the plea, the petitioner noted that various High Courts, particularly the high courts of Gujarat and Tamil Nadu, have directed their respective jurisdictional state legislatures to explore the possibilities regulating online gaming.
In Andhra Pradesh, an ordinance has been promulgated to bring online gambling activities within the purview of the existing gaming legislation, the petitioner said.
The plea seeks a ban or to regulate and monitor online gambling games by framing laws that includes within its purview games that are conducted online by using electronic gadgets including mobile phone, computers, laptops and other communication devices.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Survey reveals widespread racism in English cricket, players to attend anti-racism course of PCA | Cricket News

Published

on

By

LONDON: England cricketers — both men and women — will undergo anti-racism training courses this year after a survey revealed that more than one-third of black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) players have faced the prejudice in the game.
According to a report in ‘The Telegraph’ the courses will cover dressing room culture, raise awareness of how behaviour can be interpreted by different cultures and encourage people to challenge anything they deem to be unacceptable after ‘banter’ was identified as a mask for racism.
In the survey, done by the Professional Cricketers’ Association, 45 per cent of more than 600 respondents claimed that racism had come from a fellow player, 10 per cent said it was from a coach, and around 30 per cent had experienced it on social media or from fans.
About 62 per cent of the surveyed players agreed with the suggestion, while 70 per cent believed specific education on racism and diversity would help improve the situation.
“Only 173 of professional players replied to the survey which the PCA believes shows the level of work they still have to undertake to ensure cricketers realise the importance of anti-racism education,” the report added.
Of the respondents, 24 were identified as black, Asian or from ethnic minority backgrounds (which is around 90 per cent of the number of BAME players in the game).
In total, 12 from BAME backgrounds had experienced some form of racism. Of those who identified as white, 11 had direct experience.
“It would have been far better if the vast majority of players had responded. Why they didn’t is very difficult to speculate,” said Charlie Mulraine, the PCA’s lead personal development manager.
“Sometimes there is nervousness talking about these issues and some are uncomfortable to express how they feel.”
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will introduce an anonymous phone line to report racism, issue guidance on how people can be held to account for breaches and a forum for sharing experiences of racism, the report added.
“We needed to start somewhere. This gives us a clear direction of travel and it is an ambition to increase engagement with our members on this issue,” said Rob Lynch, the PCA’s chief executive.
“The option to do nothing was not there so the fact it has led us in this direction is a positive for the game.”
The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement following death of black-American George Floyd found support from sports persons across games and continents.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares