Connect with us

Sports

Lovlina Borgohain tests positive for coronavirus, misses flight to Italy | Boxing News

Published

on

NEW DELHI: Two-time world championship medal winning boxer Lovlina Borgohain on Thursday tested positive for coronavirus, hours before she was about to board a flight to Italy along with the Indian contingent for a training-cum-competition trip.
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) had sanctioned a Europe tour for 16 elite Indian boxers for a period of 52 days from October to December.
While two other boxers could not travel for other reasons, Olympic quota winner Lovlina missed it after contracting the virus, following a visit to her home town in Assam where she went to see her ailing mother.
“Double world championship bronze medallist boxer and Olympic quota winner Lovlina Borgohain has tested positive for coronavirus,” SAI said in a statement.
“She had travelled to her hometown in Assam on a 11-day leave to meet her ailing mother prior to the Indian team’s departure to Italy for a 52 day training camp. She was tested upon her arrival back from Assam on October 11, as per protocol and tested negative in the initial test.
“However upon being tested on October 15 again, four days after her return from Assam, before her departure for the European trip in Delhi, she tested positive,” the statement added.
Celebrated boxer MC Mary Kom (illness) and World championship bronze medallist Manish Kaushik (injury) will also miss the tour.
The 23-year-old Lovlina has been in isolation since returning from Guwahati, as per SOP. She is being given requisite treatment and is under medical observation.
The Indian boxers will reach Assisi, Italy for training and will compete in two events in France (Alexis Vastine International Boxing Tournament, October 27-31) and Poland (Leszek Drogosz Memorial, November 2-7).


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

IPL 2020: Rohit is getting better and will be back soon, assures Kieron Pollard | Cricket News

Published

on

By

DUBAI: Mumbai Indians stand-in captain Kieron Pollard on Saturday informed that regular skipper Rohit Sharma‘s injured left hamstring is on the mend and he is expected to be back soon for the team.
Rohit sustained a recurrent left hamstring injury during MI’s IPL match against Kings XI Punjab, which also prompted the national selection committee to leave him out of the Australia-bound Indian team.

“Rohit is getting better and hopefully he’ll be back soon,” Pollard said at the post-match presentation without putting a date on his comeback.

There was a possibility of Rohit returning to action on November 3 during Mumbai Indians’ last league game against Sunrisers Hyderabad, but the match is now inconsequential with the defending champions having ensured a top-two finish after beating Delhi Capitals on Saturday.
“There is a bright chance of Rohit playing in the play-offs. Having ensured a top-two finish, it gives him extra days to get fitter,” a source privy to the senior cricketer’s injury management told PTI on conditions of anonymity.
The stop-gap captain seemed pretty happy after MI’s 16 wins from 17 games under his leadership over the years.
“We need to play another couple of good games and get to the final. This isn’t supposed to be our year (MI wins trophies in odd years only), but it’s been working for us so far,” Pollard said cheekily.
MI started with Jayant Yadav in the powerplay and Pollard gave reasons why he delayed bringing Bumrah into the attack.
“We wanted to bowl spinners in the powerplay with some grip on offer,” Pollard said.
He also praised Ishan Kishan, who has had some good knocks this IPL.
“Ishan has gotten better in every game, and once he gets going, he’s hard to get rid of. He didn’t even start (this season), came in the playing XI at No. 4 and then came out to open and just blew us away.”


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Virat Kohli falls to Sandeep Sharma for seventh time in IPL | Cricket News

Published

on

By

SHARJAH (UAE): Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) skipper Virat Kohli was dismissed by pacer Sandeep Sharma once again during an Indian Premier League (IPL) match against Sunrisers Hyderabad at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium on Saturday.
This is the seventh time that the medium-pacer has managed to dismiss Kohli in the IPL.

In the 12 innings against Sandeep Sharma, Kohli has managed to score just 68 runs with a strike rate of 139. The batsman fell prey to the bowling of Sharma seven times.
Kohli managed to score just seven runs from seven balls. Sharma bowled an outswinger to Kohli, and the RCB skipper failed to keep his drive down and was caught at short extra cover by Kane Williamson.
Only one more batsman has managed to get out to a single bowler seven times in the IPL. Zaheer Khan has managed to dismiss MS Dhoni seven times in the league.
Earlier, Sunrisers Hyderabad won the toss and elected to bowl first against Royal Challengers Bangalore. RCB had got the better of SRH in their clash earlier this season.
The Kohli-led side is in second place with 14 points while Hyderabad are at the seventh spot with 10 points.
Injured Vijay Shankar is not part of the SRH team for the clash against RCB. On the other hand, Navdeep Saini comes in for Shivam Dube and Isuru Udana replaces Dale Steyn for Bangalore.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Walker strike gives Manchester City 1-0 win at Sheffield United | Football News

Published

on

By

SHEFFIELD: Manchester City moved two points off the top of the Premier League as Kyle Walker‘s long-range strike was enough to see off winless Sheffield United 1-0 at Bramall Lane.
Pep Guardiola’s men had won just two of their opening five league games of the season and are yet to hit top gear ahead of Liverpool’s visit to the Etihad next weekend.
The visitors dominated the game, but had just Walker’s speculative shot to show for it as they again lacked a ruthless streak without a natural striker.
Ferran Torres played as the centre-forward in the absence of the injured Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus and the Spanish winger had an abundance of chances to net his first Premier League goal.
Aaron Ramsdale was busy in the Blades’ goal as he twice-denied Torres from close range, while he unconvincingly parried Rodrigo’s long-range effort behind.
Walker finally broke the deadlock from similar range on 28 minutes as his shot arrowed low past Ramsdale’s right-hand, but there was a muted celebration from the England international against his boyhood club.
The one-way traffic continued early in the second-half as Torres failed to lift the ball over the stranded Ramsdale as he rushed off his line.
Kevin De Bruyne flashed a shot across goal and wide following another attacking burst from Walker before Ramsdale produced his best save of the game from Riyad Mahrez’s free-kick.
However, City’s failure to kill off the game gave Chris Wilder’s men chances to snatch an unlikely point.
John Lundstram had the best chance for the hosts when he side-footed Sander Berge’s low cross over.
But Sheffield United have still scored just three goals in seven games to start the season and remain second bottom on just one point.
City, by contrast, have won four of their last five in all competitions as they slowly click into gear after a disrupted start to the season due to injuries, coronavirus cases and just a two-week long pre-season.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares