Connect with us

Sports

Late goal flurry gives Manchester United 4-1 win over Newcastle | Football News

Published

on

Bruno Fernandes made amends for a missed penalty with a late strike as Manchester United thrashed Newcastle United 4-1 on Saturday to collect their second Premier League win of the season.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side got off to the worst possible start when the ball deflected off Luke Shaw for an own goal in the second minute, but United captain Harry Maguire put his side level from a corner in the 23rd minute.
Goalkeepers Karl Darlow and David de Gea were in top form. Spaniard de Gea pulled off a brilliant reflex save to deny Allan Saint-Maximin, while Darlow also made a string of fine saves at the other end.
The visitors should have gone ahead from the spot after Marcus Rashford was fouled, but again Darlow was up to the task, beating the spot kick from Fernandes away with his forearm.
However, the Newcastle goalkeeper appeared to be troubled by an injury to his left groin and Fernandes made no mistake four minutes from time, finishing off a superb flowing counter attack by lashing the ball into the top right corner to give his side the lead.
Newcastle crumbled in the final minutes as Aaron Wan-Bissaka stepped up to fire into the same top corner for his first senior goal in stoppage time, and Rashford added a fourth with a cleverly-timed run and cool finish to complete the rout.
The win puts Manchester United 14th on six points, while Newcastle are 11th on seven points.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Badminton: World junior badminton championships cancelled | Badminton News

Published

on

By

The BWF World Junior Championships 2020 scheduled to be held in Auckland, New Zealand, has been cancelled. Though the world federation did a commendable job by successfully conducting the Denmark Open BWF Super 750 last week, the junior world meet, which many thought can be held in a Covid-free country like New Zealand, has been cancelled.
BWF secretary general Thomas Lund said: “We are, of course, disappointed not to be able to stage the 2020 version of the BWF World Junior Championships, but the entry restrictions in place and complexities related to the Covid-19 situation make it impossible for the event to be planned and therefore hosted in New Zealand in January 2021 as currently scheduled.”
As the hosts for 2021, 2022 and 2023 world junior championships were already awarded by the BWF Council in 2018, the world body has allotted the 2024 championships to Badminton New Zealand.
“We would like to thank Badminton New Zealand, tournament organisers, its partners ATEED and the New Zealand Government for their enthusiasm and commitment to staging the World Junior Championships,” said Lund, adding that BWF decided to award the 2024 event to New Zealand.
“It only seems fair recognition of their efforts to stage these championships that we award them the 2024 edition. We appreciate that some junior players will turn 19 years old in 2021 and unfortunately miss out on a BWF World Junior Championships experience. We can only encourage them to continue to develop their talent as badminton athletes and start to enter open international events,” he added.
Lund hoped that international calendar would be more consistent next year.
“It has been a difficult and an extraordinary year during the pandemic but we all look forward to a more consistent junior international badminton calendar in 2021 and the next BWF World Junior Championships in China in October 2021,” the secretary general said.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Bangladesh woman cricketer Sanjida Islam’s wedding photoshoot on pitch bowls out social media | Cricket News

Published

on

By

NEW DELHI: Bangladesh woman cricketer Sanjida Islam has taken social media by storm after posting her wedding photoshoot on a cricket pitch in a strikingly orange saree with proper ‘maang tika’, ‘chur’ (heavy bangles) and ornaments made of flowers.
Sanjida recently got married to Mim Mosaddeak, a first-class cricketer from Rangpur.
Sanjida can be seen playing a cover drive and a pull shot and giving all cricket-lovers couple goals. Coming out with an out of the box idea, the 24-year-old gave the International Cricket Council (ICC) the opportunity to tweet the pictures: “Dress, jewellery, cricketer bat. Wedding photoshoots for cricketers be like,” .

Sanjida made her international debut against Ireland in a T20I game in August 2012. In June 2018, she was part of Bangladesh’s squad that won their first ever Women’s Asia Cup title, winning the 2018 Women’s T20 Asia Cup tournament.
The right-handed batswoman has so far played 16 ODIs and 54 T20Is in her eight-year-long international career for Bangladesh. She has scored 174 runs in ODIs and 520 runs in T20Is.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

It was a late call to ask Siraj to open the bowling: Virat Kohli | Cricket News

Published

on

By

ABU DHABI: Mohammed Siraj‘s furious spell upfront tore apart the Kolkata Knight Riders‘ batting line up but RCB skipper Virat Kohli revealed that the seamer initially did not figure in their plans for opening the attack.
Siraj, who replaced Shahbaz Ahmed in RCB’s playing XI on Wednesday, took three wickets in rare two wicket-maiden overs to decisively turn the match in his team’s favour.
IPL 2020 League Stage Schedule | Points Table
He returned astonishing figures of 4-2-8-3 and was an easy choice for Man-of-the-match award.
“It was a late call to be honest (to give Siraj the new ball). It was a good toss to lose because we would have batted first. The plan was to bowl Washy (Washington Sundar) and Morry (Chris Morris), but then we thought let’s go Morris and Siraj,” Kohli said at the post-match presentation ceremony.

“Last year Siraj had a tough year and a lot of people went hard at him. This year he has worked hard and was bowling well in the nets. He has seen the results now but we want him to keep following the process,” he said further praising his fast bowler.
Sirah himself said that his hard work paid off.
“Thanks to Virat for giving me the new ball. I have been practising a lot with the new ball. We hadn’t planned that I will open but when we went out, Virat bhai asked me to be ready,” he said.
Siraj was extremely pleased that his strategy to dismiss Nitish Rana worked.
“The ball to Rana was very good. Executed exactly what I had planned,” he said referring to the deceptive field set up that trapped the batsman.
RCB have been much-improved and dominant this season and the India skipper credited it to a new “culture” in the side.
“The management has set in a culture where there is proper planning. It is not random. We have a Plan A,we have a Plan B, we have a Plan C. We are here to execute the plans we have in place. We did a few things at the auction too, which is paying off.
“You can have all the plans, but you have to have belief. Morry is living the responsibility. He is the guy who likes to take the leadership role. His energy is amazing. He can contribute with the bat, ball and in the field.”
KKR skipper Eoin Morgan said they did not put up much resistance and that was “disappointing”.
“RCB bowled well, but we should have countered that better. And with that dew, we probably should have bowled first.”
Morgan also hoped that Andre Russell and Sunil Narine” will be fit and available around the corner”.
“Two guys of that calibre, particularly when they are all-rounders, is a big hole. Hopefully they will be available down the line.”


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares