Connect with us

Sports

IPL 2020, DC vs SRH: Delhi Capitals eye playoff berth in clash against Sunrisers Hyderabad | Cricket News

Published

on

Asked to comment on his team’s performance after losing the Super over to Kolkata Knight Riders, Sunrisers Hyderabad skipper David Warner said he was biting his tongue in order not to say something harsh. Whether he did it, and to whom, in the confines of the change room is a moot point, but the Sunrisers came out swinging and handed Rajasthan Royals an eight-wicket defeat with the domestic players doing the bulk of scoring.
Post that win, only their fourth in this edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), where they have been below par, Sunrisers Hyderabad were back to their old ways. The manner in which they snatched defeat from Kings XI Punjab was hard to fathom for even their most loyal fans.
IPL 2020 POINTS TABLE
From the comforts of 58 for two and chasing down an “achievable” target, the capricious middle order was at it again. After their bowlers did a commendable job in restricting KXIP to 126 for seven, the Sunrisers lost seven wickets for 14 runs to lose by 12 runs.
Most of the 114 runs scored by the Sunrisers came upfront, courtesy Warner and Vijay Shankar, who clearly was rattled after being hit on the helmet by a fielder while taking a sharp single. That spectacular collapse and win for Rajasthan Royals on Sunday have made it so much more difficult for SRH to realise their primary target of reaching the playoffs. With eight points – they are level with CSK at the bottom of the table – the Sunrisers have no option but to win the rest of their three games.

It’s easier said than done given their patchy form so far in the tournament. And also because the next three games involve the top three in the table – Mumbai Indians, Delhi Capitals and Royal Challengers Bangalore. First up is Delhi Capitals, who coincidentally, have the same two opponents to contend with – MI and RCB – after playing SRH in Dubai on Tuesday.
The difference being those clashes most probably will decide who’ll top the table and DC, who have lost three of their last five games, will not want to leave it late, especially after the 59-run drubbing they suffered at the hands of Kolkata Knight Riders in their previous game.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Waqar Younis expects tight contest between India and Australia | Cricket News

Published

on

By

KARACHI: A rapidly grown pace battery and presence of impressive Test performers in the Indian side and comeback of David Warner and Steve Smith in the Australian camp will make it a hotly-contested series between the two nations, says Pakistani great Waqar Younis.
India’s Australia challenge will begin on Friday with the first ODI in Sydney.
Waqar said Australia will come hard at India as they must be still hurting from the defeat in the 2018 Test series at home.
“Australia are playing at home and have developed a good pace attack and with David Warner and Steve Smith back they appear to be very strong but India also has some good pace bowlers who have come up rapidly and they bowled well on their last tour to Australia,” Waqar told a YouTube channel.
“The Indian batting is also pretty impressive with some notable test performers like Pujara and Rahane so I expect good contests.”
But the former captain has no doubt that the absence of Virat Kohli after the first Test in Adelaide and Rohit Sharma and Ishant Sharma missing at least the first two matches will make difference to Indian chances of winning the series.
Kohli will be on paternity leave after the Adelaide Test while Rohit and Ishant are yet to recover from their respective injuries and will join only after the second Test of the four-match rubber.
“Rohit is a top act while Ishant has a lot of experience and wickets behind him and they can’t make it for the Test matches, India will feel their absence,” he said.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

New Zealand, Windies players pass final COVID-19 tests | Cricket News

Published

on

By

WELLINGTON: All of the New Zealand and West Indies players in isolation in Christchurch have tested negative for the novel coronavirus and are due to be released as scheduled on Thursday, a day ahead of their opening Twenty20 match in Auckland.
About 20 players and support staff from both sides arrived in New Zealand after their commitments in the Indian Premier League and underwent a 14-day mandatory isolation period.
They were able to train in small groups after their first COVID-19 test and had three tests while in isolation.
New Zealand Cricket, who confirmed the negative tests, said the players were likely to be released from about 10 a.m. (2100 GMT) on Thursday before heading to Auckland for the first of three Twenty20 games.
New Zealand, however, were forced to make some late changes to their squad for the first test match, which immediately follows the Twenty20 games, with all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme and left-arm spinner Ajaz Patel ruled out through injury.
De Grandhomme has bone bruising in his right foot and been replaced by Daryl Mitchell, while Mitchell Santner has replaced Patel, who is slowly recovering from a torn calf muscle.
“The unavailability of Colin and Ajaz has obviously had a flow on effect to our T20 squad who are providing the replacement players for the test squad,” New Zealand coach Gary Stead said in a statement.
“Mitch and Daryl will be available for the final T20 game, before linking up with the test squad on Tuesday where we will monitor them closely to ensure they’re fit and fresh ahead of the first test on Thursday.”
Santner, who is one of the players still in managed isolation, has also been elevated to the captaincy for the final Twenty20 game, with Tim Southee joining the test squad.
Southee, who took the captaincy in place of the rested Kane Williamson, had only been named for the first two games and Stead said Santner was the natural choice to lead the side.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Boxing: Boxer Brijesh Yadav to fly back home after suffering face injury; Indian team forced to shift base to Milan | Boxing News

Published

on

By

NEW DELHI: India’s leading boxer and Tokyo Olympic hopeful, Brijesh Yadav (81kg), has sustained a career-threatening injury to his face during a sparring session and will be flying back home from the boxing contingent’s training base in Italy this week to undergo medical treatment, TOI has learned.
Yadav is a part of the 27-member Indian boxing contingent which has been camping in Italy’s Assisi town for a 52-day-long training-cum-competition programme. Yadav, a silver-medallist at the India Open and Thailand Open last year, suffered a fracture to his face on November 10 during a sparring session with fellow Indian pugilist and since then has been taken off the training roster by the coaching support staff.
According to sources, Yadav suffered a ‘microfracture’ just below his left eye, impacting his cheek and jawline. A CT scan of his face was conducted and, fortunately, his vision was found fine with no damage to the eyesight. Yadav did enter the arena to practice after the injury but felt considerable pain during the head movement. It was then decided to rest him for the remaining duration of the tour. There lies the possibility that Yadav might have to undergo maxillofacial surgery upon his return to India.
Sources informed that the decision to send Yadav back to India was taken by the Indian medical staff in Italy four days ago. His arrival has been delayed as the report of his covid-19 test is awaited. TOI tried to reach men’s boxing’s chief coach CA Kuttappa and team doctor Karanjeet Singh for comments, but they remained unavailable.
Indian team to shift base
Meanwhile, the Indian team has been forced to abruptly shift their training base from Assisi’s National Boxing Centre to another Italian city of Milan, which wasn’t part of their original schedule.
The facility became unavailable for Indian boxers after the authorities told them that the centre would be hosting a regional tournament. This led to the contingent landing in Milan last weekend after undergoing Covid-19 testing in Assisi, with all the boxers and coaches returning negative. The contingent members again underwent Covid-19 testing upon their arrival in Milan.
The boxing contingent, which had travelled to Assisi on October 16 and 21 in two batches, is supposed to leave for Germany’s Cologne on November 30 to take part in the prestigious Chemistry Cup, beginning December 15. However, there’s a cloud of uncertainty over the trip due to the resurgence of Covid-19 in Germany and the subsequent partial lockdown imposed by local state governments until December 20 to control the rising number of cases. The boxers are supposed to train in Cologne for two weeks starting December 1 before participating in the tournament.
The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) is unsure about sending the team for the Chemistry Cup. While one set of coaching staff has advised against travelling for the meet given the high-risk health situation on account of increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in Germany, there’s another set of coaches who want to travel as that would give the Indian boxers another competition to look forward to.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares