Connect with us

Sports

If Will Pucovski doesn’t make it to Brisbane Test, Marcus Harris will open: Justin Langer | Cricket News

Published

on

BRISBANE: Opener Will Pucovski has a partially dislocated shoulder and Marcus Harris would replace him if he fails to recover in time for the fourth and final Test against India here this week, Australia head coach Justin Langer said on Wednesday.
Pucovski suffered the injury during the Sydney Test, which was his debut in the longest format. The 22-year-old was injured while diving on the field. The fourth Test begins on January 15.
“Will had a sore shoulder before he fell, he was actually going to have a scan after that day’s play anyway, just to see what was happening,” Langer said at a virtual press conference.
“We will see how he pulls up today, we are really hopeful that he will get up and if he doesn’t, then the obvious thing would be Marcus Harris would come in as an opener,” he added.

Langer said he is quite optimistic about the batsman pulling through.
“Will is a young guy, he has just played his first Test. So mentally he’s going to be exhausted anyway. We will keep an eye on how he pulls up today. With shoulders, as long as he can bat OK and catch, it’s not as big a deal in Test cricket, we’re really hopeful he will get up, we will probably know by tonight,” Langer added.
Pucovski, who has suffered numerous concessions, made an impressive start to his Test career, scoring a half-century on debut.
Harris has so far played nine Test matches for Australia scoring 385 runs, including two fifties, with the highest score of 79.
The four-match series is tied at 1-1 currently with the hosts winning the pink-ball opener in Adelaide and India emerging triumphant in Melbourne. The third game in Sydney ended in a draw.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

SAI facilities: Ministry decides to name all new, upgraded SAI facilities after sportspersons

Published

on

By

New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Sunday said it has decided to name all the upcoming and upgraded facilities of the Sports Authority of India (SAI) after renowned athletes who have brought accolades for the country. The initiative is meant to honour sporting heroes of the country, the SAI said in a press release.

In the first leg, the newly built air-conditioned wrestling hall and the learners swimming pool in the National Centre of Excellence (NCOE) in Lucknow, the 100-bedded hostel in NCOE (National Centre of Excellence) Bhopal, the multipurpose hall and Girls’ hostel in NCOE Sonepat, as well as the new SAI Training Centre in Guwahati, which has a hostel, multipurpose hall and staff quarters, will be named after local star sportspersons.

Speaking about the decision, Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju said, “To build a sports culture in the country, it is important that our sportspersons get the honour that they deserve, because only then will the younger generations be enthused to take up sport as a career.

The ministry, however, did not give away names of the athletes, who would be honoured after this decision.

“The government is already providing all support to present and even past athletes to ensure that they have a life of comfort and dignity,” Rijiju said.

“Acknowledging their contribution to sports by naming sporting facilities after them is yet another endeavour of the Government to strengthen its commitment to sportspersons.”

Very few of the country’s sports facilities, including venues hosting events and training centres, are named after former sportspersons and this has often led to a debate on whether enough is being done to keep their achievements in public consciousness.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Sports Ministry decides to name all new, upgraded SAI facilities after sportspersons | More sports News

Published

on

By

NEW DELHI: The Sports Ministry on Sunday said it has decided to name all the upcoming and upgraded facilities of the Sports Authority of India (SAI) after renowned athletes who have brought accolades for the country.
The initiative is meant to honour sporting heroes of the country, the SAI said in a press release.
In the first leg, the newly built air-conditioned wrestling hall and the learners swimming pool in the National Centre of Excellence (NCOE) in Lucknow, the 100-bedded hostel in NCOE (National Centre of Excellence) Bhopal, the multipurpose hall and Girls’ hostel in NCOE Sonepat, as well as the new SAI Training Centre in Guwahati, which has a hostel, multipurpose hall and staff quarters, will be named after local star sportspersons.
Speaking about the decision, Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju said, “To build a sports culture in the country, it is important that our sportspersons get the honour that they deserve, because only then will the younger generations be enthused to take up sport as a career.

The ministry, however, did not give away names of the athletes, who would be honoured after this decision.
“The government is already providing all support to present and even past athletes to ensure that they have a life of comfort and dignity,” Rijiju said.
“Acknowledging their contribution to sports by naming sporting facilities after them is yet another endeavour of the Government to strengthen its commitment to sportspersons.”
Very few of the country’s sports facilities, including venues hosting events and training centres, are named after former sportspersons and this has often led to a debate on whether enough is being done to keep their achievements in public consciousness.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Former IOC vice president says UN could rule on Tokyo Games | Tokyo Olympics News

Published

on

By

SYDNEY: Kevan Gosper, a former International Olympic Committee vice president, is suggesting the United Nations might be the place to decide the fate of the postponed Tokyo Olympics.
The Olympics are to open on July 23 but face mounting opposition at home as COVID-19 cases surge in Tokyo, across Japan and across the globe.
Tokyo and other parts of Japan are under emergency orders with about 4,200 deaths in the country attributed to COVID-19.
Gosper, still an honorary IOC member, made the suggestion to Australia’s national broadcaster, the Australian Broadcasting Corp.
“If you were looking for a third party that recognizes that this has gone beyond being an issue just related to sport, or just related to national interest, by virtue of the global COVID (pandemic) and its impact then their could be a case to go the United Nations and seek their involvement in arbitrating whether the games go ahead or not,” Gosper told the ABC’s ‘The Ticket’ program.
The IOC and local organizers have said the Olympics cannot be postponed again. They will be canceled this time if they can’t be held.
“We’ve done this before in the IOC, we’ve gone to the United Nations to give us assistance,” Gosper said. “Because we are talking about something that potentially is going to involve representatives from 205 countries.”
Gosper did not indicate he had contacted the United Nations, and it’s not clear the body would enter into what is an intense political issue in Japan.
Japan has invested a reported $25 billion to organize the Olympics, and Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has repeated that the games will take place.
National pride is also at stake, with China set to hold the Beijing Winter Olympics in 2022, six month after the Summer Games in Tokyo are to close.
The IOC has seen its income flow stalled by the postponement. The Switzerland-based sports body gets 73% of its income from TV rights, and another 18% from sponsors.
Tokyo organizers say they have many ‘countermeasures’ to fight COVID-19 and hold the Olympics, but they have offered no concrete plans. They have promised more details in the northern hemisphere spring.
About 15,400 Olympic and Paralympic athletes will have to enter Japan, along with tens of thousands of officials, judges, VIPs, media and broadcasters.
It is unclear if fans from abroad will be allowed, or if Japan-based fans will be permitted to attend events.
One key date will be March 25 when the torch relay is to start in Japan. It will involve 10,000 runners across the country. Many see this as a deadline for deciding to go forward or to cancel.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares