Connect with us

Sports

Don’t see reason why families can’t accompany players in Australia: Ganguly | Cricket News

Published

on

MELBOURNE: BCCI President Sourav Ganguly strongly feels that Indian cricketers should be accompanied by their families for the upcoming tour of Australia as a lot of them have been alone in an IPL bio-bubble for nearly 80 days.
“They (players) have already been living in a bubble for the last 80 days,” Ganguly told ‘The Age’.

Asked if the tour would be in doubt if families cannot accompany the players, Ganguly replied: “I don’t see a reason why the families won’t be allowed to come. The Australian cricket board is trying to accommodate the families. It should be okay.”

There appears to be some issues to be settled between the BCCI and Cricket Australia on the bio-security measures the host nation has devised but Ganguly said the Indian team will travel to Sydney immediately after the IPL ends on November 10.
“So far it is ahead. The initial part will be in Sydney. We are still in discussions on how to get the bio-bubble part and medical parts stronger because it’s a long tour,” Ganguly was quoted as saying by the Australian newspaper.
“But I am told Australia is COVID free at the moment, there aren’t many cases. Basically, we are trying to get everything in place and make sure it is safe. That’s all,” he said.
Ganguly also said that they have requested Cricket Australia to ensure that their players can train during the 14-day quarantine period.
“We have requested that because they have been in the IPL for a long time (in the UAE) and then they go straight from the IPL to Australia because there is a 14-day quarantine. It will be solved,” Ganguly told Australian newspaper ‘The Age’.
Sydney and Canberra are likely to host the white ball leg of three T20Is and as many ODIs while the four-match Test series is starting with a D/N pink-ball match in Adelaide from December 17. Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney are the venues of the other three Tests.
Ganguly is also hoping that the families of the Indian players will be allowed to be accommodated in the bio-secure bubble in Australia.
He, however, refused to speculate on India captain Virat Kohli potentially missing out a Test as he and his wife Anushka Sharma are expecting their first child.
“This is a personal question. I don’t like to comment and I have not asked him,” Ganguly said.
CA had originally planned to have the white-ball series after the Test series.
Asked about this, Ganguly said, “It’s just about the timing to get everything accommodated. There is a Boxing Day Test, New Year’s Day Test, all these remain on schedule. Then India will come back and play against England straightaway for the Test series and one-day series.
“The T20s were supposed to be before the (T20) World Cup but that has not gone through because of the COVID. We are trying to get the best possible schedule and finish the one-dayers and T20s so the players can get back.”
The former India captain is also hoping his “Super Series” plan for an annual one-day series tournament between India, Australia and England would go ahead once COVID-19 issues were resolved.
“It hasn’t gone anywhere because of COVID. We don’t know what is going to happen in the next six, seven months. A lot of tournaments and series have been cancelled so that needs to be rescheduled,” he said.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Boxing: Boxer Brijesh Yadav to fly back home after suffering face injury; Indian team forced to shift base to Milan | Boxing News

Published

on

By

NEW DELHI: India’s leading boxer and Tokyo Olympic hopeful, Brijesh Yadav (81kg), has sustained a career-threatening injury to his face during a sparring session and will be flying back home from the boxing contingent’s training base in Italy this week to undergo medical treatment, TOI has learned.
Yadav is a part of the 27-member Indian boxing contingent which has been camping in Italy’s Assisi town for a 52-day-long training-cum-competition programme. Yadav, a silver-medallist at the India Open and Thailand Open last year, suffered a fracture to his face on November 10 during a sparring session with fellow Indian pugilist and since then has been taken off the training roster by the coaching support staff.
According to sources, Yadav suffered a ‘microfracture’ just below his left eye, impacting his cheek and jawline. A CT scan of his face was conducted and, fortunately, his vision was found fine with no damage to the eyesight. Yadav did enter the arena to practice after the injury but felt considerable pain during the head movement. It was then decided to rest him for the remaining duration of the tour. There lies the possibility that Yadav might have to undergo maxillofacial surgery upon his return to India.
Sources informed that the decision to send Yadav back to India was taken by the Indian medical staff in Italy four days ago. His arrival has been delayed as the report of his covid-19 test is awaited. TOI tried to reach men’s boxing’s chief coach CA Kuttappa and team doctor Karanjeet Singh for comments, but they remained unavailable.
Indian team to shift base
Meanwhile, the Indian team has been forced to abruptly shift their training base from Assisi’s National Boxing Centre to another Italian city of Milan, which wasn’t part of their original schedule.
The facility became unavailable for Indian boxers after the authorities told them that the centre would be hosting a regional tournament. This led to the contingent landing in Milan last weekend after undergoing Covid-19 testing in Assisi, with all the boxers and coaches returning negative. The contingent members again underwent Covid-19 testing upon their arrival in Milan.
The boxing contingent, which had travelled to Assisi on October 16 and 21 in two batches, is supposed to leave for Germany’s Cologne on November 30 to take part in the prestigious Chemistry Cup, beginning December 15. However, there’s a cloud of uncertainty over the trip due to the resurgence of Covid-19 in Germany and the subsequent partial lockdown imposed by local state governments until December 20 to control the rising number of cases. The boxers are supposed to train in Cologne for two weeks starting December 1 before participating in the tournament.
The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) is unsure about sending the team for the Chemistry Cup. While one set of coaching staff has advised against travelling for the meet given the high-risk health situation on account of increase in the number of Covid-19 cases in Germany, there’s another set of coaches who want to travel as that would give the Indian boxers another competition to look forward to.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

‘No room for abuse’ in Australia-India series: Justin Langer | Cricket News

Published

on

By

SYDNEY: Verbal abuse won’t be tolerated during the series with fierce rivals India, Australia coach Justin Langer said Wednesday, promising his team had moved on from their days of harsh sledging.
Previous clashes between the cricketing heavyweights have been marked by bitter rows, and Australian opener David Warner said this week that he expects Virat Kohli‘s men will try to wind him up during the tour.
But Langer said the Australians would keep any exchanges within the spirit of the game.

“There’s plenty of room for banter, having fun and having that competitive instinct but there’s no room for abuse,” he told reporters on a conference call.
Langer took over in late 2018 vowing to change the win-at-all-costs mentality that led to the infamous ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.
He said the culture of the team, once notorious for sledging, or verbal abuse, was now different.

“Anyone who’s watched what’s happened in the last couple of years (can see), we’ve talked about our behaviours on and off the field,” he said.
That does not mean it will all be sweetness and light, with Langer pointing to a heated verbal exchange between Kohli and Australia’s Test captain Tim Paine during India’s last tour in 2018-19.
“We loved what Virat Kohli was doing, there was a great sense of humour and a great sense of theatre to it all,” he said.
Langer hinted he was taking a conservative approach to Australia’s main selection dilemma: whether rising star Will Pucovski should replace out-of-form veteran Joe Burns at the top of the batting order.
“We think very, very highly of Will, he has enormous talent. When the opportunity comes, he’s ready to play Test cricket,” he said.
“The opportunity hopefully will come for him at some point, whether it’s this series or a series to come.”
While all signs are that Burns will get the nod, Test greats such as Michael Clarke, Ian Chappell and Mark Waugh have been clamouring for Pucovski’s inclusion after the 22-year-old plundered back-to-back double centuries for Victoria.
Australia and India will play the first of three one-dayers in Sydney on Friday, followed by three Twenty20 matches and four Tests.
Langer said the tour was economically important for cash-strapped Cricket Australia, but also a welcome distraction for cricket lovers everywhere during the Covid-19 pandemic.
“To watch Australia and India is going to be great entertainment,” he said.
“Hopefully it’s going to put some smiles on people’s faces, that’s the bigger picture we’re looking at.”


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

ICC must deliver world events or sport will suffer, says new chairman Greg Barclay | Cricket News

Published

on

By

WELLINGTON: New International Cricket Council (ICC) Chairman Greg Barclay told Reuters on Wednesday his organisation must deliver their pinnacle events over the next three years or there will be serious financial consequences for the sport.
The COVID-19 pandemic forced the ICC to reschedule three of their world tournaments, and Barclay, confirmed as chairman of the global governing body on Tuesday, said they were contracted to deliver them within the current broadcasting agreement.
“We have got to deliver the world events that are to come and those that are postponed,” Barclay told Reuters by telephone on Wednesday of the agreements that expire in mid-2023.
“Not just for the cricketing outcomes but there are commercial concerns as well.”

The men’s 2020 Twenty20 World Cup in Australia and 2021 women’s World Cup in New Zealand have been moved to 2022, while the men’s 2023 World Cup in India has been pushed back to later that year.
“If we fail to deliver all of those events then we will be penalised by the broadcasters and we won’t receive the last of the ongoing payments,” added Barclay.
“That, in turn, is going to affect the ICC’s ability to invest in its own programmes and enable it to make distributions to members. Unfortunately a lot of the ICC members are heavily reliant on those disbursements.”
Barclay replaces interim chairman Imran Khwaja, who temporarily succeeded India’s Shashank Manohar after his second two-year term ended in July.
Commercial lawyer Barclay, who has served as New Zealand Cricket‘s representative on the ICC board for the last six years, said that while the election process had been “drawn out” he was keen to get to work.
One of his tasks is to ensure that women’s cricket continues to make progress.
“We have an obligation that it’s a game for everyone,” he said. “We have got to continue to move towards parity.”
He was also eager to develop the game in non-traditional markets and felt the United States was an area they could tap into, especially with the work already done in recent years.
“We have to look at regions where there is good potential for growth,” he said. “The U.S. appears to be the place to go.
“It has a massive advantage in that its traditional audiences from sub-continental Asia have massive diasporas in North America and there are large audiences there for cricket.


Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares