Connect with us

Sports

Dominic Thiem slumps as Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas prepare for ATP Finals showdown | Tennis News

Published

on

LONDON: Dominic Thiem slumped to defeat against Andrey Rublev in a dead rubber at the ATP Finals on Thursday as reigning champion Stefanos Tsitsipas and Rafael Nadal prepared for a shootout to reach the semi-finals.
Austria’s Thiem, who beat Tsitsipas and Nadal earlier in the week to win Group London 2020, was well below his best at London’s empty O2 Arena in a 6-2, 7-5 defeat.
Rublev, 23, broke the third seed twice to race into a 3-0 lead at the start of the round-robin match.
Thiem stopped the rot and started holding his serve but could not make inroads into the Russian’s serve and the set was over in just 25 minutes.
US Open champion Thiem, playing significantly below par, tried to dig deep against Rublev, who has had a breakthrough season, winning five titles.
But the Russian, who was in the groove, passed Thiem in the third game to break for the third time in the match and establish an iron grip.
Just when it seemed likely he would canter to victory his level dipped and he dumped a forehand into the net to hand Thiem a break, smashing the ball away in frustration.
At 4-4 the Austrian appeared to be back in the contest but was broken again in the 11th game, sending an angled backhand wide.
Rublev missed an easy overhead as he served for the match but sealed the win with an ace.
“I started really well since the first point, the first return and I think Dominic didn’t start that well,” said Rublev.
“I took advantage from the beginning and that helped me to have more confidence and helped me to play better and better.
“It was not easy for Dominic but I think he is also focused now already on the semis so I wish him the best of luck. He deserves to be where he is and he deserves to win the title.”
French Open champion Nadal, seeking to win the ATP Finals for the first time in his illustrious career, has a 5-1 winning record against Tsitsipas but the Greek will take confidence from last year’s win in London.
Daniil Medvedev has already qualified from Group Tokyo 1970 — 2018 champion Alexander Zverev and top seed Novak Djokovic will battle it out on Friday to join him in the semis.
The O2 Arena is hosting the elite eight-man event for the 12th and final season before the championships move to Turin.


Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Tendulkar helps in treatment of underprivileged kids across six states | Off the field News

Published

on

By

MUMBAI: Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar has helped in providing treatment to 100 underprivileged children across six states – Maharashtra, West Bengal, Assam, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This partnership is with a foundation called Ekam, and is targeted at children receiving treatment in government and trust hospitals.
Children from underprivileged families, suffering from critical ailments and those who cannot afford to follow up on their elective medical costs, got the support from Tendulkar’s foundation.
Earlier this month, Tendulkar had supported Makunda Hospital in Assam’s Karimganj district with paediatric equipments .
This is expected to benefit more than 2000 children every year.
Tendulkar had also participated in an initiative with UNICEF on World Children’s Day, encouraging children to play a key part in shaping the future of the world.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

F1: Fittipaldi to replace Grosjean at Haas for Sakhir GP | Racing News

Published

on

By

MANAMA: Brazilian reserve driver Pietro Fittipaldi will make his Formula One race debut with the Haas team at the Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain next weekend as replacement for Romain Grosjean, the team said on Monday.
Frenchman Grosjean suffered burns to the back of his hands in a fiery crash during Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix and is expected to remain in hospital until Tuesday. The team said he was unable to compete.


Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Jimenez suffered a fractured skull in horror collision: Wolves | Football News

Published

on

By

LONDON: Wolves striker Raul Jimenez fractured his skull in a clash of heads with Arsenal’s David Luiz in Sunday’s match his club said on Monday.
The 29-year-old Mexican international received treatment for 10 minutes on the pitch before being taken to hospital.
Wolves — who won the game 2-1 for their first win at Arsenal in 40 years — said he would remain under observation for a few days.

“Raul is comfortable following an operation last night, which he underwent in a London hospital,” read the club statement.
“He has since seen his partner Daniela and is now resting. He will remain under observation for a few days while he begins his recovery.
“The club would like to thank the medical staff at Arsenal, the NHS paramedics, hospital staff and surgeons who, through their skill and early response, were of such help.
“The club ask that Raul and his family are now afforded a period of space and privacy, before any further updates are provided in due course.”

Luiz stayed on the pitch with blood seeping into a white bandage wrapped around his head until half-time.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta defended the decision to keep the Brazilian on saying he had shown no signs of concussion and was only withdrawn as the Brazilian was concerned about the cut.
However, there have been renewed calls for temporary substitutes to be used as they are in rugby union whilst the player is given a thorough examination.
“Too often in football we see players returning to the pitch having undergone a concussion assessment only to be withdrawn a few minutes later when it is clear that they are not fit to continue,” said Luke Griggs, chief executive of brain injury charity Headway.
“That is the very reason why we urgently need temporary concussion substitutes in football.
“You simply cannot take a risk with head injuries.”
Football’s lawmakers IFAB have opened the door for concussion substitutes to be used on a trial basis with the English Football Association hoping to do so in this season’s FA Cup.



Source link

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Shares